This is an entry-level program that requires no previous training to enroll and no mandatory "years of beekeeping". Completing this level requires passing a simple written test to objectively assess the skills acquired. Individuals should be familiar with basic knowledge and skills necessary for a beginning beekeeper. Topics to understand for the Basic Level:
1. Sources of beekeeping information for the "beeginner"
2. The colony – basic bee biology and behavior
3. The bee hive – construction, equipment, tools
4. Acquiring bees – packages, swarms, queens
5. Seasonal management – swarm prevention, supering, over-wintering
6. Diseases – detection, prevention, management
7. Forage and nutrition
8. Processing of hive products – honey and wax
9. Pollination - bee food plants – pollen and nectar
10. Beekeeper Responsibilities
*(Apiary visit – weather permitting – must bring your own protective gear including veil)
This is a 16-20 hour beekeeping class with two sessions. The cost per person is $100 and is NON-REFUNDABLE. Please see details below for dates, locations and contact information. Online registration only – no walk-in registrations will be accepted.
NOTE: Those who have previously taken the Advanced Beekeeping course offered by UTK AG CTR and/or Dr. Skinner in previous years do not need to take this course, but are welcome, space permitting, and no registration or payment required, to attend and sit in the back of the class.
For more information and to register and pay online, go to this link: https://secure.touchnet.com/C21610_ustores/web/classic/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCTID=455